Friday, September 7, 2007

pool friend

I have a friend.

We play pool.

Yes, that’s it. That’s the best and probably only way to describe him now. We used to be great friends once, and share our deepest secrets with each other. Even though I know he would definitely be around when I need him, that’s not the defining feature of our friendship. It most definitely is the fact that we play pool.

It’s been 5 years since I’ve left my native town. I used to return about once a month to visit. Now, I come once in three months. That’s all that’s changed. The rest always goes like this.

“Hi.”

“Hi! You’re in town! Great! When did you get here?”

(No names needed.)

“Two days ago. So, free in the evening?

(No need to mention pool. It’s understood.)

“Ya. Sure. What time are you coming?”

“Will be there at EXACTLY 7:30. Same place”

(I always stress on ‘exactly’. It’s always the ‘same place’.)

He always makes me wait for 15 mins. I always promise myself to stress more on ‘exactly’ the next time. He comes, we hug.

“How’s Life?”

“Screwed up!”

“How’s your’s?”

“Frikkin Pathetic!”

It’s always snooker. Always one hour. I always lose.

“Ok then. See you tomorrow?”

“I’ll try. Difficult”

“Bye.”

“Bye.”

We never meet the next day. We always meet the next time I’m home.

“Hi”

“Hi! You’re in town! Great! When did you get here?”

And so it goes…

Ps: He’s the best friend I have in this town. Yes, I need to get a life.

2 comments:

Arjuna said...

Super!! Enjoyed reading this one and "a file named suhaib". Typical your kind of writing! :)

Anonymous said...

Who is that ?